Updated: Apr 20
Announcing our Spring 2022 kick-off event!
Join us Saturday, April 23rd from 1pm to 5pm for gear demos and mini survival workshops. There is no fee to attend! From 1pm to 3:45pm, we'll be set up at Mill Street Park on the corner of Mill Street and Municipal Plaza behind Character's Restaurant and before the Sloatsburg Train Station. Then at 4pm, we'll be at Seven Lakes Station for the culminating workshop. Scroll down for details and for the link to the 4pm "Go Bag" RSVP. Parking info can be found at the very bottom.
- Urban and Outdoor Survival has added a Survival Kit Raffle!
- Campmor will be demonstrating a Jetboil Flash Stove. Optimized for efficiency, the Flash boils water in a lightning-quick 100 seconds, making it the fastest Jetboil ever. Campmor will also have a give-away. The winner will picked on the following Monday.
- Gravity Vault Indoor Rock Gym joins the event. Stop by Gravity Vault's table to check out the tri state area's premier indoor rock climbing facilities! "Whether you’re young or old, big or small, novice or expert we want The Gravity Vault to be your home away from home. Ask about how to take your next adventure indoors with us."
- Visit Conor at Merrell for footwear demos. Every person trying out footwear can enter a raffle where 1 winner will win a $100 Merrell Online Gift Card. On top of that, each person can receive a free Merrell water bottle for trying some gear out.
- Check out Torne Valley Climbers' Coalition. TVCC is responsible for maintaining legal rock climbing access to the Powerlinez area of Harriman State Park. Stop by to learn more about climbing in Harriman, and how TVCC encourages responsible access through stewardship education, clean-up events and community outreach."
- RSVP for the 4PM "Go Bag" Workshop. This workshop will be held at Seven Lakes Station and to help the gastropub have an idea of the number of attendees, we ask you to please RSVP HERE.
Scroll down for the schedule of events and other participating groups. More to come on what each will be offering so check back.
Subscribe here for updates and news on group outings scheduled for the morning of the event!
OUTDOOR ADVENTURE & SURVIVAL
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
1pm - 1:15p : Event opens. Take an opportunity to stop and visit with Campmor, Merrell, and get to know outdoor adventure clubs within Rockland County.
1:15 - 2:00p : Water Purification by Marlon Smith, owner of Urban & Outdoor Survival. This first workshop covers the importance of water and purification for both cold and hot weather needs, different types of filters, how to use aqua tabs (outdoors and home types), and camping hacks in the event you do not have aqua tabs or filters.
2:15 - 2:45p : Learn the 5 Most Useful Knots by Ropes, Rigging, & Trees owner Randy Lee. Having an in-depth understanding of ropes, knots and tying them properly is a great and invaluable skill whether enjoying outdoor adventures or in a wilderness survival situation.
3:00 - 3:45p : Emergency Shelter Class by Al Rivera of The Bushcraft Trading Post. This workshop will cover A-frames, lean-tos, plow points, emergency plow point with a military poncho, and the importance of carrying the gear and learning which to use and why.
4:00 - 5:00pm : *Go Bag Class by Marlon Smith of Urban & Outdoor Survival. Marlon will cover home, office, car bags, an emergency back packing kit, their differences and why in this new modern world they are a must have to pack and have ready in the event of an emergency. RSVP HERE.
* Please note the 4pm Go Bag Class will be held at Seven Lakes Station, 80 Orange Turnpike, in Sloatsburg just steps away from Mill Street Park.
CONFIRMED PARTICIPANTS SO FAR:
PARKING: This is the Sloatsburg Chamber downtown map which can also be found in the kiosk in Mill Street Park. Look for the blue "P" for public parking.